Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Opinion: OpenTable Valentine's Day Rundown


Do you plan to celebrate Valentine's Day? Not me. I’m the Ebenezer Scrooge of Valentine's Day. So this year? I’m going to be babysitting for my friends while they go out. My list of reasons for disliking the holiday is long and complex, but THIS article is about YOU, dear readers!

I was going to do some research about places that were having a Valentine’s Day special, but, thanks to the internet, OpenTable has already done that for me! Check it out! Thus, based purely on the information on OpenTable and the restaurant’s own websites, I will present my sports-commentator-esque rundown of the options.
In choosing a Valentine’s Day venue, I, personally, would search for a restaurant serving it’s full menu with special touches. I like to have a full array of options before me. For example, I would check out The Fig Tree and T1 Tapas.

However, I’m intrigued by the offering at Kalu, a $125 six-course dinner, because I’m also a sucker for more-than-four course meals. Luce also caught my eye with their $70 three-course meal (I think it's $70 for two!), maybe it was the oyster suggestion, but I also like how their menu is set up: choose three appetizers, two mains and share the dessert platter. Zebra sounds interesting, AND they will be offering their $85 three-course special the entire weekend.

For the budget conscious, Red Rocks and Blu Basil are the way to go. According to Open Table, Red Rocks is offering a four course meal for $35 per person, and Blu Basil is offering “one appetizer, two entrees, a dessert, and a bottle of wine” for $60.

And, of course, there is Flatiron (Three courses for $70) and Carpe Diem (choosing one each from a choice of 6 appetizers, 6 mains, and 5 desserts for $50). I have not been to either place (well, a lot of these places, yet) but both are on my “to try” list.

Remember, this list is certainly not exhaustive. Urbanspoon and about.com both have lists of romantic Charlotte restaurants that are worth a look. Enjoy the night!

As for me, I’m going to be watching the kids and trying out this recipe. Bah Humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment