Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Review: Pewter Rose

After dining at Pewter Rose, I am on the fence as whether to return. Where do I start?

The ambiance: The décor was a bit of a muddle; from Queen Ann chairs in the lounge to artificial trees in the dining room, I was unsure as to what to make of the lack of theme and if this restaurant was trying to be chic or casual.
The food: Seafood lovers will enjoy the mussels; cooked just right and served with the perfect crostini to dip into the thyme-white wine broth.
The lemon and goat cheese salad was a winner-a very nice sweet, salty, spice and crunch combination.
I would stay clear of the crab cakes; unless you like them heavily spiced and light on the crab. Served with collards, (I am not typically a fan) - the waiter assured me these would convert me. After a few bites, I was still not convinced. Also on the plate was creamed corn; this flavorful side went well with the dish.
The crab con queso dip was tasty - however lacking in crab much like the cakes themselves.
The Steak au Poivre was so-so, a bit buttery and easy to eat but quickly forgettable. The fries were also acceptable but could have been served hotter.
For dessert the chocolate truffle was decent; although I expected it to be richer.
The spiced apple caramel bread pudding was more memorable, as the apple/spice combination was just right.
The service: Our waiter was attentive and brought everything we asked for promptly.

The verdict: I would dine again but am hesitant to order the dinner entrees. I will definitely return for the tasty appetizers. And oh, I must try the renowned butterscotch scones served up daily at brunch.
~Stephanie
1820 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28203-4717
(704) 332-8149
Monday-Thursday 10am-9pm
Friday-Saturday 10am-10pm
Sunday 10am-2:30
Brunch & Lunch 10am-2:30pm daily
www.pewterrose.com
Pewter Rose Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment