Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Recipe: Greek Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)


Greek chicken soup (Avgolemono)
This chicken soup has been keeping me company and making me feel better since I was very small. I first had it in my grandmother’s kitchen and many, many times after when my stepmother and I learned to make it. I feel comfortable that the integrity of this recipe has remained intact over several of my family’s Greek generations. I hope you find it as authentic and tasty as I do!



INGREDIENTS


  • 3 lb Whole chicken (washed, dried and cleaned out)
  • ½ cup lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
  • 1.5 cups white rice
  • 4 eggs
  • Loaf of sourdough bread (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place chicken into a large pot and cover in water with water level about one inch above chix.. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to med-high for 1 hours. Make sure the lid is secured tightly on the pot.
2. Remove chicken and set aside. When it cools a little, break apar into small piecest; discarding skin and bones.
3. Strain out the broth from the pot.
4. Place broth in the large pot. Bring to a boil and add the rice. Lower heat and simmer for about ½ hour. Let mixture cool.
5. Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the lemon juice.
6. Add egg-lemon mixture to pot slowly to ensure the eggs don’t curdle.
7. Whisk briskly until soup is creamy.
8. Add the chicken pieces.
9. Simmer until hot.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
11. Add fresh lemon if you enjoy it tart as the Greeks do!
12. Garnish with parsley if you desire.
13. Serve with a slice of bread and butter and Enjoy!


~Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment