Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday Favorites: Kitchen gadgets

We are starting a new weekly post called "Friday Favorites".  In this section, we are going to discuss our favorite something-or-other.  To kick it off, we asked each other what each of our top five kitchen tools were.  Here are our answers:





Aurora
  1. Le Creuset Tea Kettle – I tend to be a classicist in the kitchen (we don't even have a microwave).  I love everything about this kettle: how it looks, how it feels, the sound it makes when it's ready, and how quickly it heats. I use it for both tea and coffee (which we make with a simple French press).
  2. Cuisinart mini 4-cup food processer – I loved my blender, until my husband gave this to me one Christmas (I must thank my mother-in-law for the recommendation).  It’s quick and easy to set up and clean and does everything from chopping garlic, to creaming soup, to mixing hummus.  Now if they could only make them in glass instead of plastic.
  3. 10-piece glass bowl set – Everyone needs a good set of nesting bowls.  This happens to be my first set.  It has several bowls that are very small (for chopped garlic or spices), to a nice large mixing bowl.  I also have, and love, this Pyrex set, which my mom found on Ebay to match the one I grew up with.  That big yellow bowl is perfect for popcorn.
  4. Cast iron fry pan – I love(d) my Le Creuset cast iron fry pan.  I must put that in the past tense because it was the victim of a kitchen fire (I was not cooking at the time).  I intend to get another one soon, and for the time being I am “making do” with my other go-to pan, my 4-quart All-Clad sauté pan (though it doesn't do the same type of cooking).
  5. Progressive International Duel Peeler – This sounds silly, but having a comfortable vegetable peeler changed my view on making anything with potatoes, carrots or peeled apples, not to mention all those other root vegetables that require peeling.  This one happens to be the one I use.



Elena
  1. Kitchen Aid Cooks Rotary Grinder – Nothing tastes better over pasta then some freshly grated pecorino or romano! 
  2. Cuban Coffee espresso maker (aka “Cafetera”) – Miami has a window (“ventanilla”) on almost every corner where you can get your single fix (cafecito) or a “colada” to share with friends or coworkers. Be careful if it’s your first time – not for the weak of stomach or nerves! Use Café Bustelo for the best Cuban coffee (available at most Harris Teeter stores). Expect a post soon on how to make the best cafecito at home.
  3. Delonghi Triblade Immersion Blenderthe uses are limitless and this tool is really great when you have little ones and need to quickly puree. Way better than the Magic Bullet because you can blend large batches in under 30 seconds in the same pot you cooked in.
  4. Pressure Cooker (Olla de presion) – I was initially quite frightened of this thing, but I must say it has changed my life for the better. What it does to meat is magic. Also, can’t really cook Cuban food without one, so I have learned to embrace it and I just clear the room when using!
  5. Hand Chopper – This makes it so easy to quickly chop up your onion, garlic, peppers and more. Allows for much greater control than a Magic Bullet – you can control your level of chop.


Stephanie
  1. George Foreman lean meat fat-reducing grilling machine – This tiny grill has been making delicious sandwiches in my house for more than ten years. It is a wonderful starter countertop grill for your kitchen; especially if you are low on cash.  There are many other uses for it as well including grilling chicken, burgers and veggies. Such a value for the money, this grill is hard not to recommend.
  2. Nespresso machine D290 – If you are one of those people that relishes in their cappuccino/latte/espresso experience, then this machine is for you.  This dreamy machine is professional grade; boasting an impressive 19 bars of pressure.  This factor is what gives the coffee its steamy, rich consistency.  Don’t be intimated by the price and consider this machine an investment.  Just think, you will no longer need to run out for $4.00 Starbucks treats. And now for a little Clooney
  3. Wusthof 8 inch classic cooks knife – This multi-purpose knife is the perfect accompaniment to any kitchen.  Since 1814, this company has been making and perfecting the design and functionality of these beautiful knives.
  4. Universal Pot Lid – This pot lid is so useful and if you are low on storage space it is an excellent space saver.  It works on all my pots and comes in handy frequently.
  5. KitchenAid KFP750CR 700 watt 12 cup food processor – Check out what Chris Kimball from Americas test kitchen has to say about this flawless machine.  Reviewed and vigorously tested it made it to his list of seven kitchen items you can’t live without.



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete